Thursday, June 18, 2009

New Recipe: Puffy Popovers

Puffy Popovers

We tried something new today.  It seemed like a very basic recipe, and we figured it would end up like mini soufle's or scrambled eggs in muffin pans.  We were a tiny bit disappointed that they didn't puff up as high as we thought, but the children still enjoyed helping me mix the ingredients, and taste testing this new recipe.

Their final vote:  about 3 out of 5 like it, and about 4 out of 5 say we should try it again to see if it can get more puffy.
I'm wondering if we may have overbeaten the eggs too much.  I may try this again on the weekend to see if I can't tweak it a little for the next time the children want to make it.  

What did I like the best about this?  It was a yummy snack, the kids got excited to see eggs baking in muffin pans, and they didn't know there was NO SUGAR in this muffin-shaped treat.  Oh, the kids got a kick of opening them up to find nothing but air on the inside.

My own observation:  even when lining the pan with butter, the eggs will stick, but with the ones we made in the silicone pans they just popped out nice and easy.  I wouldn't do it again in a metal pan.

Let me know if you have tried something like this at home, and how you found the results.

This recipe I found over on baby center
 

It's not too different from a basic muffin recipe, but with different proportions.

I'm posting the recipe, incase you might like to try it out sometime yourself.


Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes


Ingredients

2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus butter for greasing the muffin pan 
3 eggs 
1 1/2 cups milk 
1 1/2 cups flour 
Salt and pepper 

Preparations

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 
Lightly butter a 12-cup muffin pan. 
In a bowl, whisk the eggs. 
Add the milk and beat well. 
Sift the flour over the mixture (I don't have a sifter, so I fluff up the flour with a spoon before measuring - my Home Ec. teacher taught us this trick in high school and it works fairly well) and stir to create a smooth batter. 

Add 1 tablespoon of the melted butter and the salt and pepper (optional). 
Fill the prepared tins about two-thirds of the way full. 
Drizzle the remaining melted butter over each of the popovers and bake on the middle shelf for 15 minutes. 
Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake another 15 minutes, or until the popovers are golden brown and puffed up. 
Makes 12 servings